January 28th is Data Privacy Day in the United States and Data Protection Day in Europe. This day is used in the US, Canada, and 27 European countries as a day to raise awareness for respecting privacy, safeguarding data, and enabling trust – for businesses and consumers.
Data privacy and data protection are topics that deservedly get a lot of attention. The Identity Theft Resource Center publishes their Data Breach Report regularly throughout the year, and their 2015 summary is quite telling. According to their report
- A data breach is defined as an incident in which an individual name, plus a Social Security number, driver’s license number, medical record or financial record is put at risk of exposure
- There were a total of 781 breaches that exposed over 169,068,000 records
- The medical/healthcare industry saw 35% of the breaches but exposed 67% of the records (112,800,000 records)
- Breaches covered almost every industry, including banking and financial, business, education, government and military, and healthcare
To see a complete list of data breaches, be sure to download the PDF report here.
StaySafeOnline.org has some details on how you can get involved in raising awareness about the need for better data protection and data privacy:
- Download materials such as posters, buttons, logos, and web banners to put your website to work in spreading the message of data privacy and protection
- Tips for getting involved, as a social media leader, champion or simply see ideas on how to spread the message
- See privacy tips on how you can protect your personal information and protect your data
- Check your privacy settings and get advice on how to update your privacy settings at many of the common websites the public uses
whiteCryption takes data privacy and protection very seriously. Our high-end security applications from automotive and banking to healthcare and high-value applications from big data analytics engines and oil/gas exploration require strategic solutions that help avoid any compromise to these secure environments. Our Cryptanium enterprise solutions add a layer of protection to help avoid the limitations and risks involved with conventional application security. These security solutions deliver the next level of obfuscation, self-defense and tamper resistance technology against piracy.
Get involved in Data Privacy Day by spreading the word, sharing this post, and being part of the solution. Great technologies can take us places, make our lives easier, and help us do our jobs, but without an eye toward data protection solutions they can also become disasters!
Photo credit to Igor Spasic.